Skip to main content

Feeding the Light in Me

"Something in our very fiber knows where the light is." M. Nepo

My reading today reminded me to watch buds, shoots, plants, as they stretch
and grow this spring and be aware of their relationship to the light above and the dark below.
Imagine it as a mirror of something in me about to break ground.

I became a bit confused about the light and dark and the spirit and inwardness that he was talking about.  It all seemed mysterious.  But what I am planning to ponder today, beyond my amazement in the new growth and green that I have so missed this winter, is the idea of our inward contemplation and our heart's desire.  Our spirit is drawing us to the light and the ease of life-our calling, our passion, our easy place.  And our inwardness can keep us grounded and secure as we start to shoot up toward our desires.  Our dark keeps us steady, but can only take us so far.  It needs light to expand and root even further.  Courage, strength, and determination build when the foundation of security is steady.  A steady body and mind create the base for a heart to expand and grow.  
I am picturing my chest lifted to the light, so that my soul can soak up the rays.

Do you have a secure base so that you can let your deepest desires come to light?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letting go & holding on- how you can do both at the same time

Everyday I am thinking about letting go.  My days are spent in sessions with clients, or reading about decluttering tips, or writing blog posts, all in an effort to support clients as they let go of clutter and unwanted habits.  Letting go is something that I have made into my life's work, but never is it more "in my face" than when I sit with my grandma at the nursing home.  My grandma has Dementia/Alzheimers.  I don't even know what or which or why or how, but I do know that it seems we have lost her to the disease and letting go & holding on are happening all at once. As I sit and watch her sleep, I can stroke her hand and feel the many memories of playing Go to the Dump or Crazy Eight on my days off of Kindergarten, getting a home perm in her kitchen in elementary school, and painting my nails at her kitchen nook in H.S.  I remember learning how to snap a dish towel with my cousins as we cleaned up from holiday gatherings & singing and dancing...

The Holiday Shuffle

This time of year, I always find myself struggling to keep the holiday spirit as I contemplate my lists of things to do in order to get to every event on our calendar with all of the required food, gifts, smiles, and energy.  It is the same every year.  Every year I say to myself, "how could I do this differently next year?" and every year I find myself in the same place.  The holiday bustle is starting earlier and earlier and it seems like that only creates more pressure for performance. In my house I am the bah, humbug of the family.  I am not ready or willing to start thinking Christmas until Thanksgiving is on the books.  I usually don't listen to Christmas music until that day, and I don't get the tree or the house decorated until after that day.  I'm the scrooge who lives with a husband and kids that would (and do) listen to Christmas music year-round!  I feel guilty for being this way, but I also try to honor each day, and I guess for me ...

Just say No

This is the sticky note that is posted on my fridge right now.  It is the reminder that everyday I have a million choices and I have to decide what I really want to say yes to.  This mantra came from the the book "Take Time for Your Life" by Cheryl Richardson.  I took a course last year that involved working through the book, chapter by chapter, and being held accountable for the homework and activities.  It was a great lesson in digging deep and really getting to the core of what I want as my priorities. Having said that, here we are at the start of a new school year and again I am confronted with committees, activities, opportunities that might go against my priorities.  Am I ready and willing to say no unless it's an absolute yes?  Have I practiced enough yet?  Can I be gentle with myself when I get into a situation and realize that I threw my gut instinct out the window?  Am I willing to be courageous and back out of things that I said...