Skip to main content

What if it were easy?

"What if it were easy?"
That is the question that I am pondering this week.
What if everything in my life was easy?  How would life go?  What would each day feel like?  What would each day bring?

Here's what might happen...
My concerns about having enough money and time would fall away.
I would feel light and have an abundance of energy for whatever came my way. 
Decisions would be a snap because I would be sure of what my heart desired.
I wouldn't waffle or let the "should" voice step in to distract me.
I would feel more joy in everyday moments.
I would take more risks.
I would choose things that filled me up and not things that felt like obligations.
I would laugh, dance, and create more.
I would care less about my appearance and how clean my house is.
I would let things roll of my back and not take things personally.
I would see the light in other people and feel more friendly.  
I would take every interaction as an opportunity for growth or connection.
I would be able to give myself a break from my own expectations & judgments.
I would feel that the sky is the limit!  On top of the world!  Above the fray.

Today I took a little step toward the feeling of things being easy.  I decided to carve out a few hours for just the the kids and I.  No outside influence.  That meant no playdates or phone calls.  Nowhere that we had to be.  
We decided to picnic on the lawn.  The kids made their own sandwich creations (that included marshmallows!).  We ate and then laid together under our maple tree to make a guesstimate of how many leaves filled it's branches.  We laughed on each other's stomachs and played a trust game.  We took a bike ride and played a quick game of soccer.  
It wasn't all roses.  There were some tears during the bike ride and squabbling along the way, but it was just "us."  It was summer and it was an afternoon that felt easy.  No outside commitments tugging at us.  No agenda for those hours.  A time to let whatever felt "right" be our guide.
This kind of day is what will bring more ease and more joy.  This is my kind of easy.  Being free to keep things simple and enjoy.

Are you stuck in a place that seems hard?  Take a moment to dream up a few hours when things could go a bit easy.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letting go & holding on- how you can do both at the same time

Everyday I am thinking about letting go.  My days are spent in sessions with clients, or reading about decluttering tips, or writing blog posts, all in an effort to support clients as they let go of clutter and unwanted habits.  Letting go is something that I have made into my life's work, but never is it more "in my face" than when I sit with my grandma at the nursing home.  My grandma has Dementia/Alzheimers.  I don't even know what or which or why or how, but I do know that it seems we have lost her to the disease and letting go & holding on are happening all at once. As I sit and watch her sleep, I can stroke her hand and feel the many memories of playing Go to the Dump or Crazy Eight on my days off of Kindergarten, getting a home perm in her kitchen in elementary school, and painting my nails at her kitchen nook in H.S.  I remember learning how to snap a dish towel with my cousins as we cleaned up from holiday gatherings & singing and dancing...

Just say No

This is the sticky note that is posted on my fridge right now.  It is the reminder that everyday I have a million choices and I have to decide what I really want to say yes to.  This mantra came from the the book "Take Time for Your Life" by Cheryl Richardson.  I took a course last year that involved working through the book, chapter by chapter, and being held accountable for the homework and activities.  It was a great lesson in digging deep and really getting to the core of what I want as my priorities. Having said that, here we are at the start of a new school year and again I am confronted with committees, activities, opportunities that might go against my priorities.  Am I ready and willing to say no unless it's an absolute yes?  Have I practiced enough yet?  Can I be gentle with myself when I get into a situation and realize that I threw my gut instinct out the window?  Am I willing to be courageous and back out of things that I said...

Countercultural

These past weeks I keep running into the same themes in my conversations and in what I read.   It is the notion that our culture wants us to believe that there is a "perfect recipe" for parenting and how much trouble this creates when you look at the reality of life. The idea that there is a "right" way to parent is something that I struggle with as I raise my two kids.  The pressure to keep it all together and produce well-rounded, successful, polite, obedient children is enormous in our culture! Before they were even born I was reading about their development and making sure that I had all the necessary supplies.  Then I was reading to see what the experts said about schedules, sleeping, tantruming, potty training.  Now I am reading about puberty and sibling rivalry.  Parenting is a never-ending job and society's pressure often makes it hard to enjoy the ride. The ride involves patience and persistence, goal-setting and vision.  It involves connect...