Skip to main content

Out with the old!



This past week, I finished a long overdue project.  I sorted and tossed two file cabinets full of old paperwork.  It was a big job that had been lurking in the basement, haunting me.
I started weeding through it one day when I had a hour or so.  The short timeframe was a great way to get started.  It created an urgency that kept me from hemming and hawing over whether to throw or keep.
I had to get realistic.
With every piece of paper, every file, I asked myself if this was something unique and irreplaceable or whether it could be found in another resource if I ever needed it.  The answer to almost all of it was that it wasn't unique and yes I could find something similar if I needed it in the future.  So, after a couple of days of work, I ended up creating a full recycling bin of paperwork that left my house on Friday!
As with any project in this house, one thing leads to another and soon I had moved onto other files, other piles, other stacks of unfinished business.  Piles of papers and artwork from the kids; projects that had waited so long that they might as well be trashed or handed off to someone else.
I finished the day with a clean floor, space in a closet, and two empty file cabinets!
Afterward, I took Fischer out for a walk and the peace and clarity that came was overwhelming.  I felt renewed!  I couldn't believe the faith that had come with the purge.
With each decision to give away or get rid of, I gained trust and acceptance.  I could trust that I would  be able to find the resources that I need for whatever comes in my future.  I don't have to hold on to outdated stuff.  The papers were significant to a part of my life that made me who I am, but they were out-of-touch with my current life.
It was a relief to have the extra stuff gone.  An exhale.
I still had piles to donate or sell in the basement, but I created a deadline for when they will be taken care of and I am sticking to it.
The open space feels good.  It feels good to actually know what is in a room, a closet, filling the shelf.  It feels good to know that we can get by with less.  It feels good to trust.
As I walked today, I was again reflecting on the process of shedding the old.  I noticed the trees losing their leaves and I thought about my experience of purging.  The trees trust that they can let go of their beautiful color and that they will be full again next year.  It is the way of the world.
It feels light and easy when you trust that whatever you need will be available when you need it.
I hope I can remember this each time I bring something new into my home.  I want my home to be full of things that matter, things that I love, and things that help create the lifestyle that we desire.  If something comes in and then starts to gather dust, it is time to check if it has outworn it's welcome!

Are there things in your space that you have outgrown and just need to let go of?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letting go & holding on- how you can do both at the same time

Everyday I am thinking about letting go.  My days are spent in sessions with clients, or reading about decluttering tips, or writing blog posts, all in an effort to support clients as they let go of clutter and unwanted habits.  Letting go is something that I have made into my life's work, but never is it more "in my face" than when I sit with my grandma at the nursing home.  My grandma has Dementia/Alzheimers.  I don't even know what or which or why or how, but I do know that it seems we have lost her to the disease and letting go & holding on are happening all at once. As I sit and watch her sleep, I can stroke her hand and feel the many memories of playing Go to the Dump or Crazy Eight on my days off of Kindergarten, getting a home perm in her kitchen in elementary school, and painting my nails at her kitchen nook in H.S.  I remember learning how to snap a dish towel with my cousins as we cleaned up from holiday gatherings & singing and dancing on th

What happens when you sprain your ankle...

The view as I iced my ankle.  Maybe a slow down is in order more often. This summer I had a firsthand lesson in patience-a big one!  I am a pretty motivated lady.  I set goals for myself, I have big expectations, I dig in, and I stay active, but this summer I had to shift down to the slow lane on the highway of my daily drive. I sprained my ankle goofing off-feeling young and fun!  It was an uncomfortable way to be brought back to reality and it put the brakes on some of my best laid plans for what I had hoped to get out of the summer. So.. I worked on my patience.  I had to rest.  I had to take time off.  I had to rethink how I was going to shift my goals and also fight the fear that time off would mean that I couldn't get back into the things that I loved-that I would miss opportunities and have regrets. I tried a lot of things that didn't really get me any where.  Some days I wanted to whine and other days I was sick of waiting to heal and tried "powering t

Resist urgency

"May what I do flow from me like a river, no forcing and no holding back."                                                                                                      -Rilke I wanted to write a little more about what was underneath the last post.  What I continue to need to hear again and again.  It is the promise to resist urgency. I feel urgency in my body as a tightening.  It is a tightness in my breath.  It is a tightness in my expression. I find that my brain can get consumed with uncertainty, comparison, and fear.  It feels like there is a buzzing in my back that scares me into thinking that if I don't get to all of my ideas soon, then I will lose them, fall behind, miss an opportunity, and not be successful.  I know in my heart that this isn't true.  The truth is that the feeling of urgency is fear and it isn't reality. When I feel the anxiety of uncertainty, I start to cling to my old ways.  I try to gather more information, look to